Pages

Friday 28 June 2013

If I had been at the mall.... I wouldn't have met the creepiest balloon animal guy EVER.

It was nice and hot here today so Jimmy and I went downtown this afternoon to swim at City Hall.  We made friends with a four-year-old girl who kept asking if she could play games on my phone.  Um, no.  Why not??  Um... because I am using it at the moment??  Because we are surrounded by water and I just finally replaced my last water-damaged phone?? Because you're FOUR and I don't KNOW you??  Anyway...    We stopped for supper at The Works festival in Churchill Square, which had some interesting things going on.  There was live music and different art... things.  It all seemed pretty cool but I really can't give you any more detail beyond that soooo, yeah.  There was a really amazing carousel made out of shopping carts and the girls running it were really sweet to Jimmy.  However, again, I don't really get it...  But it looked like a LOT of fun.
Grocery Cart Carousel at The Works
So, as we were leaving, a balloon animal guy approached us.  He seemed harmless enough.  He was wearing the usual balloon guy balloon hat and carrying a plastic air pump with him.  He started talking to us so we stopped so he could make something for Jimmy.  He started pumping up a white baloon and said he was going to make an airplane.  Then he started saying things like, "You look like you're going to join the army some day!"  "Yep, I can tell... you're going to be an army guy."  I guess Jimmy's bucket hat was looking particularly military-esque.  He got to the stage of the airplane where the balloon looked like a cross and he said "Look Pastor, here's your cross!" and held it up, triumphantly. Jimmy just stared blankly at him.  I smiled hesitantly and moved closer to Jimmy.  My brother, who was with us, inched further and further away.  The guy kept jabbering away as he made the airplane and when it was done he went to hand it to Jimmy, got down on one knee and said "hey kid, I've seen a lot of guys die...."  Aaaaand, we're done here!  I gave the guy a Toonie and we booked it. Now, here's the thing; he clearly has issues that I suspect stemmed from military service of some sort.  And that really sucks.  But DUDE.  Maybe making balloon animals for CHILDREN isn't the job for you!!

So what I've learned from this experience is that I'm really grateful for what I have and that I haven't chosen a career that involves scaring children for money.  Wait a sec... oh crap....   Good thing today was the last day of school!!  

This self-actualizing moment never would have happened if I'd been at the mall....

No comments:

Post a Comment