Pages

Saturday 15 June 2013

If I had been at the mall... I wouldn't have met RICK MERCER!!!

I started the "mall fast" last Monday, apparently with some underlying anxiety.  On Sunday night I dreamed I was in the mall and I couldn't get out and I wasn't supposed to be shopping and I didn't know what to do with myself.  Apparently my psyche was nervous about this endeavour...

On Thursday, I had to visit the Rogers store in WEM... and then the Rogers store in Kingsway as part of the ongoing saga of "water-damage-gate" (clever, no??).  As I cut through The Bay in Kingsway I found myself eyeing the fur trader blankets and Canada sweatshirts and thinking maybe I needed them.  Really??  Three days without the mall and I've suddenly lost all sense of fashion and home decor??  I think I need to spend some time reflecting on how I've trained my brain to sort out wants, needs, and NOBODY needs.  

The highlight of the mall fast for the week happened today when I dragged Jimmy to the Downtown Farmer's Market.  It was cool and rainy today and there is no doubt in my mind that had I not imposed this challenge on myself, we would have ended up at a mall for the afternoon.  The first challenge was to find me a new card holder for my CNIB card/bus pass.  I lost the old one in the old card holder on Monday and I have been super paranoid all week about losing the new card.  Not that having a cardholder prevented me from losing the first card (twice) but it does make it a lot easier to dig out of my purse.  After some mini donuts and a discussion with the flax seed guy (Random tip for the blind: Don't assume that the flax seed guy is the honey guy and start telling him about how you forgot to check if you needed honey.  You'll feel awkward and weird and end up buying flax seed that you didn't need).  Jimmy picked out this beauty for me and I have to say, I couldn't have done a better job myself! Purple sparkles and tear drop/leafy shapes....




After the market we headed to the library so Jimmy could play for a bit.  We got there just in time to watch a librarian setting up mats for the 2:00 story time.  Great!  I love pre-arranged activities that I don't have to think up!  So the librarian set up the mats and a big chair and then the camera crews started setting up.  Wait... cameras??  That seemed weird to me but whatever.  Then I started hearing library staff buzzing about how awesome this was going to be and "Rick this" and "Rick that."  Maybe a local celebrity was here to read today's story?  Whatever... At 2:00 a regular, run of the mill Edmonton Public Library guy started singing a song about going to the moon and I settled back to cruise Facebook.  Turns out this guy was just the opening act.  He asked all the kids to welcome his friend Rick!  I didn't recognize the guy and went back to my phone.  As I was listening to him read, I was trying to place his voice..it was so familiar.  I kept trying to think of local CBC radio guys whose names were Rick and coming up with nothing.  Then all of the sudden I went, "HOLY SHIT!  That's RICK MERCER!!"  Thankfully it was in my head.  I didn't know what to do next.  Start taking pictures??  Post it on FB??  Try to find a better place to stand since he had his back to me and I was never going to get a decent picture to put on FB if I didn't move!  Then I realized I needed a picture of Jimmy, listening to a story being read by RICK MERCER!!!  By then it was too late and the story was over.  Fortunately for me, the event wasn't over!  Rick and the kids needed to wish the EPL a happy birthday for the cameras.  So I wormed my way to a prime photo/video taking spot, which wasn't hard to do because I'm pretty sure there were a total of 4 of us there who even had a hot clue who this guy was.  So I got a great video of Jimmy and Rick Mercer (and some other random kids but who cares about them!).  The opening act came back out to read another story and I took this as my opportunity to stalk RICK MERCER!!!  I kind of hung around like a fool waiting for an opportunity to say something when he was dragged away for a photo op.  "Should we find some kids?" "Yeah..."  Did that sound as creepy in real life as it did in your head just now?? Yep.  It sure did!  So I hovered closer and closer to the toy sailboat that RICK MERCER was sitting in and then I did it.  I said, "Hi Rick.  I'm a big fan and I was wondering if you would take a picture with me?"  And he said yes!  He didn't look up from his phone as he said it but he did say yes.  So I asked a lady to take the picture and I crouched down next to the boat and RICK MERCER stopped texting long enough to smile for the broken iPhone and then I said thank you and I ... RAN AWAY.  Always the epitome of grace and class, I am!  Oh I also may have said, "Sorry, I know you're busy texting!"  Ugh.  Better planning ahead of time might've saved me from this.  Although ahead of time all I could think of was that I really was more of a fan of his when he was on 22 minutes...in the 90s...when I was a child.  After I posted the pic to FB, I realized story time with the opening act was over and I had to find Jimmy.  Wouldn't that have been a story to tell??  I lost Jimmy downtown today but I had my picture taken with RICK MERCER!! It's ok, we found him at a bus stop with some hobos but I have a picture of him standing very close to RICK MERCER!!

Me & Rick Mercer & a child-sized sailboat
It never would've happened if I'd been at the mall....



2 comments:

  1. That cardholder looks blue in this picture... I wonder if it is??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I say good on you for getting a photo!


    Also, yes it definitely looks blue in the pic, I actually wondered where the purple was.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete