Pages

Friday 19 July 2013

If I had been at the mall... I wouldn't have discovered my life's calling!

I got up way too early this morning to take Jimmy to the K-Days parade downtown.  I feel a little bad saying this but I didn't really expect too much.  Fortunately, I was wrong, as it was pretty cool!  I love watching marching bands.  How they march and play an instrument at the same time is fascinating to me.  I can't even march and move my arms at the same time.  It has been speculated by my physiotherapist friend that I have a mild gross motor delay, although I feel like by the time you're my age it's not so much a delay anymore as a deficit!  Anyway, there were some great floats and I especially enjoyed the  dodgy moment when it looked like the giant Kermit the Frog balloon wasn't going to make it under the streetlight wire.  I would have "hiya-ed" him and kicked him through but unfortunately I'm not allowed to use my karate outside of the Dojo!

It only took about 10 minutes for me to realize how awesome it would be to ride a float in a parade (you might not know this about me but I have a tendency to be a bit of an attention whore...).  I decided maybe a career change to something that would allow for frequent parade appearances might need to be in my future so I started a list of possible occupations.  Obviously RCMP, Edmonton Police and all branches of military are not options for me (you might not know this about me but I have a tendency to be a wee bit defiant of authority...).  Marching band has already been ruled out.  I do think I would look super cute in a kilt so possibly I could get on with the Edmonton Transit Bagpipers but I suspect there are requirements other than looking cute in a kilt, such as being able to, you know, make music with bagpipes.  Another option to consider is a First Nations Chief but I think there might be stringent qualifications for that, as well.  There was an adorable mini CN train but I know I'm not qualified to do anything with "engineer" in it's title.  Math is hard.  This leaves me with four final possibilities.  1) Farmer.  Errrr.  Next.  2) Edmonton Eskimos cheerleader.  See above re: gross motor delay.  3) Booster juice employee.  This being my first parade viewing in years, I'm not sure how often Booster Juice participates in these things and I'm also not sure that working for a random franchise will necessarily give me first dibs on all parades, so that probably won't work. 


Finally, we have... politician.  At first this was high on the list of distinct non-possibilities.  However, after paring down the list, it really is the most feasible.  Also, when I posted my parade-diva-girl dream on Facebook my good friend, Jill, said, "Somehow I can see u on a glitzy purple float with your hair and makeup did and some fancy shoes waving the queen wave hahaha I'd be in a pink dress beside you lol"  She knows 

me well and has pretty much defined exactly what I had in mind.  The MLAs and city councillors were the only people in the parade who got to ride around in convertibles, dressed up in designer clothes (as opposed to uniforms or mascot costumes) and taking themselves VERY seriously.  This is exactly what I want!  Also, think of all the pancake breakfasts!!!  Oh yeah, this is it. But I don't want one of those hard jobs where you have to make tough decisions and do budgets and have people mad at you all the time.  I think I'd like to be Minister of Parades and Pancake Breakfasts.  Would you vote for me??

No comments:

Post a Comment