Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

If I had been at the mall... I wouldn't have had the opportunity to try "salmon stuff on a bagel!"

Last weekend before my spa experience I needed breakfast so, for the second time in my life, I walked into Tiramisu before it opened and had to be kicked out.  It's moments like that that I wish I had a white cane.  At least this time I just poked my head in before being noticed and told they weren't open.  Last time I sat at a table and read a menu for 5 minutes before anyone said anything to me!  Hmmm.... Tiramisu is also the restaurant where I got sauced and accidentally tipped the waiter $1.36 on a $50 bill.  Maybe they weren't actually closed?!  Maybe I'm just not allowed back??!  Actually, they've served me since so I think all is forgiven.  I don't think I have mentioned yet how wonderful this little cafe is.  The food and the coffee are really good.  I've never had a meal there that I didn't enjoy.  The service is sometimes slow but they are usually really busy  so I'm sure that's why.  The owner is a doll... the first time I ate  there was when I was gluten free and I ordered pizza.  I ate all the delicious toppings and left the crust on the plate.  The owner came over, concerned that there was something wrong with my meal.  When she discovered that there was nothing wrong with the food and the problem was with the un-classy patron before her, she asked me lots of questions about what I could eat and was very interested in what she could serve for people like me... and people that legitimately can't have gluten.  I've noticed since then that there are several GF options on the menu, which is cool.  It's also very kid-friendly, with iPads specifically for kids to play with.  There's usually lots of families in there during the day on the weekends.   I, however, prefer a Thursday evening with a bottle of wine. which leads to grossly undertipping a waiter (I DID correct my mistake before leaving) and discovering a giant metal rodent on my walk home!  (Is this considered meta or just shambles self-promotion?? I'm ok, either way, just wondering...)

Right, so nothing was open on 124th except Pure Kitchen.  I had eaten there before and had a really yummy lox and cream cheese bagel so I decided to go back.  I should have known I was in trouble when the girl at the till told the girl in the back to make "lox on a bagel" and she responded with "I don't know what that is."  I should've put a stop to all of it when girl one explained, "the salmon stuff on the bagel."  But I didn't.  I sat down and waited for my salmon stuff.  And waited.  And waited.  Aaaaaand waited.  This is when I started to worry.  My appointment time was looming and I still had no "stuff" in front of me.  Finally it came and I had 5 minutes to wolf it down.  It looked ok.  It looked like smoked salmon on a bagel.  I took one bite.  Then a second.  On bite number three I had to look... I had to know what else was going on there besides salmon stuff.  Now, I'm not 100% sure what I was seeing and tasting and I don't want to slander a small business but I THINK it was salmon, mayo and onions.  That was it.  I was done.  I wonder how that went down in the kitchen. Maybe girl one told girl two to put "white stuff" on it and I ended up with mayo instead of cream cheese.    I don't really want to think about it too much because it makes me gag a little.  And I do want to say that the last time I went there, the lox on a bagel was delicious.  And both times my coffees were great. So don't discount it completely based on my experience but maybe take it more as  a life lesson.  That  is, if  you find a restaurant employee describing your meal in a vague, unappetizing, albeit amusing, way, say something.  Change your order to something you can see in a display case like a blueberry muffin or a fruit salad.  "I'll take the beige blob with the blue spots, instead, please!"  

These sage words of advice would not be coming to you if I had been at the mall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment