Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

If I had been at the mall... I wouldn't be known as the weird lady on my block!

Last weekend my brother and I were heading out for Slurpees because it doesn't get any more local than my neighbourhood 7-11.  I'm not kidding... every visit includes a floor show incorporating a wide variety of characters!  As we were leaving the house a kid with a wicked set of lungs starts screaming from down the street, "LEMONADE FOR SALE!"  Clearly the kid is yelling at us because there was no one else around and I don't want to be known as the mean lady up the street that pretended she couldn't hear mega-lungs hawking his juice.  Of course, they are known as the lazy kids down the block who don't put their toys away.  It will be a very hard lesson when they lose a tractor or dump truck to a hobo!  Besides, what would make a better local-shopping story than one about an entrepreneurial kid selling lemonade on a street that nobody walks down??  So we headed down their way, the kid still yelling about his lemonade, which I thought was a little strange but I guess persistence is a good thing.  When we got there I ordered to cups and then said, "Can I take your guys' picture?"  thinking I could make them famous among all six of my readers and my seven Twitter followers!!  The little kid says, "Sure!" excitedly but mega-lungs hesitates and says, "I don't knoooow..."  To which my brother immediately follows with, "NO.  You can't do that!"  I sadly put my phone away and paid for our lemonade.  I tipped them 100%, by the way. As we walked away this exchange occurred:  

Brother:  If a weird lady asked to take picture of your kids on the playground wouldn't you have a problem with that?
Me:  Welllllll... I guess so.  But I don't really consider myself to be a weird lady.
Brother:  Oh.  Well maybe you should...

And now I am known as the weird lady up the street.  It never would've happened if I'd been at the mall!

No comments:

Post a Comment